Start Your Year Off Right with Social Media
2019 is upon us! Now, more than ever – it’s important to think about creating a smart social media strategy to: stay in touch with your sphere and past clients and generate new business.
Here are a few tips and strategies to keep in mind when planning for the new year:
- Don’t be all things to all people. You don’t have to be on every single social media platform. Pick one that you enjoy and that your clients are on and go all in there!
- Work smarter not just harder. Time block your social media activities on a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis. If it’s not in your calendar it doesn’t become a habit and if it’s not a habit it probably won’t happen. If you find yourself saying “I don’t have time for social media” – I would challenge you by asking yourself, “Do I have a system for social media?” Having a system and a plan makes a big difference!
- Create your content plan (not just a social media plan.) There is enough noise on social media. To stand out, commit to creating unique content on a consistent basis. Recorded video content or Facebook Live content are both great options because they can give your viewers a sense of what it feels like to work with you. This is one of the best ways to attract the clients you want to work with. Your vibe attracts your tribe! Need help getting started? Download our free content grid here: http://katielance.com/contentgrid
- Plan time to engage. Connecting with others on a regular and authentic basis is key. I believe in the idea of “focus 5” – connecting with at least 5 people a day on social media. Don’t be a drive by liker – but take the time to comment or share in a meaningful way. Relationships are built with small interactions over time – every comment adds up!
- Dare to do something different. It’s ok to take a risk – to have an opinion, to do something out of the box. So often, I see the same type of content everywhere. Have fun, be unique, don’t be vanilla, and don’t be afraid to try something new!
In addition to the above tips, here are a few of my favorite apps and tools that will help you work smarter in the new year:
- Canva (great app to create graphics, FB ads and more!)
- WordSwag (great app to create quote graphics)
- Unsplash (fantastic app with killer stock photos)
- Later (awesome free app to use for scheduling content)
- Videorama (easy-to-use video editing app)
- CalendarLabs.com (free website to download calendar templates – great for planning!)
What is on your social media agenda for 2019? I’d love to hear from you! Send me a message on Facebook or Instagram and let’s connect!
About the Contributor
Katie is the CEO and Owner of Katie Lance Consulting and the #GetSocialSmart Academy. Katie is a nationally known keynote speaker, a frequent blogger, and contributor to Inman News and The Huffington Post, author of the book #GetSocialSmart. She lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with her husband and 2 beautiful boys.
Connect with Katie here http://katielance.com